Friday, August 28, 2009

Appreciate what we have when we have it.....

As most of you know, I am not from Utah. I have lived many places like Kentucky, Arizona, Iowa and Wyoming. I have been to a few funerals but I have never been to a "viewing". It seems like going to a viewing is more of a Utah thing or maybe a Mormon thing as the first thing to do after one passes away.

So yesterday, Debbie and I go to a good friends dads viewing. It was actually very nice and a good experience for me. We walk into the funeral home and there is a line of people. At the end of the line there is a TV playing a slide show of digital pictures of the past. As we moved along there were other pictures on easels with pictures from many years ago..... the dad giving away his daughters in all of their weddings and grand kids sitting on his lap. Other black and white pictures from when he was a young adult just starting life with his wife.

As we moved even closer there it was... the open casket with the deceased very visible. His Widow standing right next to him with her head turning to hug people then turning back to her husband with her eyes fixated on him even though people were talking to her. She was is good spirits and smiled a lot but always had her eyes return back to her husband.... the look on her face looking at her deceased husband was something I will never forget.

I dont mean to have a heavy blog but this experience brought me back to Debbie and her accident. It could have been so much worse and I thank God that she is with me. Had she hit a little harder or a little further towards the temple and I may have been that person staring into the open casket at my spouse.

So..... lets all enjoy life and the people in our lives while we can and every time we can. Smile more and have lots of fun.

I will get off my soap box now.... happy weekend everyone

1 comment:

Jenny said...

very heart felt!