Sunday, December 11, 2011

You can take the girl out of the city, but...



It has been years since I have lived a small town life. As most of you know I was raised in a VERY small town in Southern Idaho, Population 6,000 or something like that. I knew everyone I graduated high school with, knew where they lived, what their parents did, and at one time or another probably dated someone in their family. I hauled hay, chased cows, and caught mice in mouse traps... SMALL town.
Now Sam and I live in big city... We don't really know our neighbors, I don't know where they work, what their kids names are, I don't know where they grew up or what they do on the weekends. I do not have mice, I do not SEE cows, and if one of my kids had to haul hay they would look at me like I was crazy, they may not even know what hay looks like. I DO have everything I want at the tip of my fingertips. Professional sports teams, huge shopping complex, airport, gourmet restaurants, art galleries, world class medical teams, unbelievable schools and Universities, and endless opportunities for the kids. We make big money, we spend big money, and I pay more for a pair of Levis and way more for a pair of shoes than I EVER thought I would. I am more and more city girl and less and less country girl.

So Sam and I have the conversation a lot if we would want to go back to small town living and we both agree that there is something about a small town that calls to us. I know I would not be content in TOO small of town and I have to be somewhere that I could buy a really expensive pair of shoes and have somewhere to wear them. I am more of a city girl now than I ever want to admit and Sam laughs occasionally about how I would stick out like a sore thumb in some of the places he has lived. However, he forgets that I have lived in a small town and there are a lot of things I miss.
You probably will never see Sam and I moving back to Preston, Idaho, Sheridan, Wyoming, Le Mars, Iowa or Winslow, AZ... but we may be planting our roots somewhere smaller than this concrete jungle of Salt Lake City, Utah.

So how big of city is to big??? or how small of a town is to small??? We are thinking somewhere with 100 to 200 thousand people.. That sounds just right to us! and you?

3 comments:

Brent said...

You would go nuts in Wyoming and men would be flockin.. The country don't have 40 year old women like you Deb.

Anonymous said...

I love a big city. Small town people seem so happy with so little and there must be something nice about that but once you have lived the life you have gotten use to. It's lie apples and oranges.

Lyla said...

I dream of small town living also. I would have chickens and a screen door that slams.

Concrete jungles are pretty awesome sometimes, it keeps you young, fabulous, and hip. I dress better and I can't forget about a good pair of shoes either!