Sunday, April 15, 2012

Once in awhile!!!

Those awesome teenage years are not my favorite time in a child's life to be their Mom.

Go ahead and judge me, I will wait...

Anyway, once in a while those awkward, back talking, know it all, friend loving, zit faced, opposite sex crazy, teenagers melt your heart.
Brock got his braces off last week. Sounds like the start of a simple story. We go to the orthodontist he gets his braces off. While at the orthodontist office the orthodontist ask me
"what kind of things are Brock into?".
I said to him "I don't know he is kinda the typical teenage boy!"
so we go about our appointment and its time for Brock to design his retainer.



*side note...retainers have came along way. Now-a-days you can get, pink, purple, blue, sparkled, checkered, orange, or all of the above. On top of that you can get any logo, picture, anything you can imagine put on your retainer.

back to heart melting story.. So Brock brings me over the "idea" poster of what you can get. There are Superman Logo's, Football Team Logo's, College Logo's, Cool designs, you name it they have it. The rest of the story is where my heart started to melt.


Brock hands the orthodontist back the poster of designs and says to the orthodontist.


"I want my retainer to be all white with the Breast Cancer pink ribbon."



The orthodontist looked at Brock, all the assistants looked at him and the room went quiet.


I said to Brock "You don't have to do that!"

he said "No, that's what I want!".

Brock goes back to get his final xrays done and I go to the waiting room and Brock's orthodontist comes into the waiting room and says to me.

"That was a first for us, brought a tear to every one's eye. We didn't even know what to say to him except, COOL!! My assitant looked at me and with tears in her eyes mouthed the words WOW to me!"


At that point the orthodontist said he assumed I had breast cancer and asked me some questions about it and he started walking away and said.



"That is an impressive young man, nothing like a typical teenager."


So a simple thing like a retainer reminded me how much these teenagers have their mamma's back, how much I still am on their mind, and that they actually do love me.

1 comment: