Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Memories to last a lifetime...

I don't quite even know where to start this blog. So I guess I will just dive in. I am going to do this blog in 2 parts. This part about the experience that Sam and I have went through that is so wrong on so many levels and so right on so many levels that I have to share and then later I will blog about Amtrak, being in Sam's hometown, and all the other stories of our adventure.
We went on Amtrak to Le Mars , Iowa where Sam was raised to say good bye to Sam's best friend. It was heart breaking but I cannot tell you how warm, gracious, and wonderful John's family was to us. They fed us, laughed with us, cried with us and made me feel like part of the family. Here are a few pictures of the celebration of John's life and I will never forget how wonderful everyone was and how heart breaking this experience was. This is John's parents, Ned and Wanda, Sam calls them Ma and Pa Ma Comb. Ned said to Sam when we were leaving "Having you here Sam was just like having John with us". *sigh!
John's family also asked Sam to be a Pallbearer. Nichole (John's wife) exact words to Sam was "Will you be a Pallbearer with the rest of his brothers!" *bigger sigh
Sunday night after John's visitation the family (while all together) decided to get Tyler (John's son) baptized. Nichole invited us along and after we went back to the MaCombs and as everyone sat around the table and cried, looked, at pictures, and talked Sam snapped this picture. PRICELESS. Sam wanted to be at there house every last second we could.
By the back door of Ma and Pa MaCombs house all the nieces and nephews had taken their shoes off and there was this big pile of shoes.

This is Nichole Johns wife. She is the cutes littlest spit fire you have ever met and I love her, hurt for her, and deep down inside know that she is going to make it through this!
Johns Family!!
What a wonderful, emotional week we have had. Sam said to me at one time sitting in the funeral home "Deb, I have never been so sad in my entire life!" and I think that is part of the grieving process. John was buried just like he wanted. In a Minnesota Vikings T-Shirt, a beer in his hand, and surrounded by people that love him.
and by the way. Sam and I are now the biggest Minnesota Vikings fans you have ever met!!

1 comment:

Nichole M said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm a blubbering mess right now. Heck, I've been a blubbering mess for the past week. John and Sam have been friends for a lifetime -- and we will continue that friendship for another lifetime. Love you guys! So happy you were able to make it!!

Nikki