Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Scout Camp

The past week or so has been a little hard on Debbie. Brock joined Scouts this year and she has been planning and packing for Brock for days. Debbie is very protective of her kids... especially Brock! For her to send her boy off into the wilderness for a week with out cell service or contact of any kind for that long is putting her into fetal position on the floor.
All week long we have heard -
"What do you do if you get lost?" the answer is nothing you stay put of course
"and??" blow the whistle you bought me
"Stay with the group Brock"
"Every year a Scout gets lost somewhere you HAVE to be careful"

Thats just a few things of what we all have heard for weeks.

Then comes the weekend to pack the bags. After shopping for every detail that is needed from the Scout list (and a few other things for him) they start putting things out on the floor. Now I have packed for a week long camping trip before and a lot of us have gone to camp as a kid. I say this with all the love in my heart.... I have never seen a mom with so much detail in packing lol
There is a Monday wallet for the trip, a sealed envelope with lunch money for the trip back on Saturday so he would not spend it, then a wallet hidden somewhere in the 100 pound gym bag that the clothes are in for his spending money during the week.
EVERYTHING gets labeled and stacked appropriately for time lines. Cass helped with this labeling project.
We finally get to packing and while she was packing his clothes she went over the week several times, looked at the weather, pulled out the clothes again and said.... "ok Brock I need more room". She said she had 3 hoodies and 1 jacket..... I said "I think you can take away one hoodie for room... haha" making fun of her (it a loving manor though). She starts packing his out fits for each day in order all with matching colors and color coordination then gets to the last stack and says... "Brock we need more shirts!" I said "didn't you just put a stack of shirts in there????" She said " those were his jammy shirts that match his jammy pants" hahahaha.... ok at this time I broke loose in laughter. Don't get me wrong I love my wife dearly and support her always and during this whole time I was right along with her getting him everything he needs. But matching jammy outfits for Scout Camp?? hahaha my hell that is awesome.

The night before Brock left I told him a couple of times.... Brock... you really need to be thankful and appreciative of what your mom has done for you. Not many moms take care of their kids to the extent that Debbie does. I hope some day Brock will realize this but in the mean time.... he had a smile on his face and was the most excited I have ever seen him. He will have a great time with a life time of memories to think of.... I remember my camps as a kid and I am WAY old heh.

Debbie I love you and how you take care of your family! I have so many stories to tell about you :)

Debbie's sad' look as she is packing her boy away
Brock got a new hat for camping and big enough to put the mosquito net on
Packed and ready

No comments: