Monday, March 7, 2011

Voted off the Island!

We leave for Colombia at 1:00 a.m. in the morning, fly to Atlanta, fly to Miami, have a HUGE layover in Miami and then fly to Baranquilla Colombia, so I don't need to tell you there was a LOT of exhausted people. So we get to Baranquilla and we find out we have to go by BUS in the dark in Colombia 3 fricken hours to Santa Marta where we will be staying the first night. Let me tell you there were some melt downs, I love a good melt down as long as it is not me. :-) So, we make it to a great beach in Santa Marta have dinner, sleep, have breakfast and get back on a bus to tour Santa Marta and go by bus another "who the hell knows how long" to Tayrona. So we make it to Tayrona and to make a long story really short. They have 8 huts @ Tayrona and we have 10 couples. So 2 couples volunteered to go to some UNKNOWN location in Colombia. So everyone that knows Sam and I knows that we are always up for an ADVENTURE so we volunteered and we were lead off like 4 outcast members to a alternate location. After we PUSH started the car that was taking us to where ever we were going and with a driver that did not speak a any English we were off like a wedding dress.

We ended up here at Playa Koralia. I am the first to say that this resort is not for EVERYONE but it was for Sam and I. WE LOVED it. It was very remote (so much for staying with the group for safety reasons while in Colombia). It has NO hot water. The toilets and showers are OUTSIDE of your room. It was seriously one of the neatest experiences we have ever had. Now Maverik feeling bad about the mix up compensated us VERY well for this stay. I wont go into details but we pretty much got paid to stay at this place for 3 days. SERIOUSLY?

A hut or room where people stayed. They were painted all cute!

This is the reception center. You can not wear shoes into any building and most people that come to this resort is looking for a "nature" experience. They said a lot of Yoga retreats.
I fell in love with this little doll. It was not for sale! :-( This was our outdoor shower. Seriously your head was just outside.. If I can pick the worst part of the 3 days it would be that we had NO hot water, and I am not talking cool water I am talking COLD. The beach!!!! No one around for miles and miles and miles. You better enjoy each other's company because that is pretty much all you got! a River that runs through the resort. You did not order off a menu, You ate what they brought you! Big breakfast and lunches and very small dinner. It was the best food of the trip! The food in Colombia is to die for, but I can't believe I am about to say these words. "I am quite sick of seafood"

The bathrooms off the dining tent.. How cute are they.

Our hut. I love hammocks.. LOVE hammocks!! Give me a hammock and a drink and an ocean and I am a happy girl.
Well this is a strange perk of our trip. We had FROGS everywhere. I mean everywhere. I lifted up the toilet many times to find a frog in the toilet. So Sam wanted me to just pee on the frog and I told him NO WAY.. So the shower drain became the bathroom for me for a couple days.. LOVELY!Our bed, with bug net included. The bug nets work. At night we would let the bug nets out and sleep inside them. We saw FIREFLIES. We watched one the first night weave in and out of our thatched roof of our hut. LOVED it. Made me so happy! This leg of our trip was the most romantic by far. Just Sam and I and Larry and Tracy and the ocean roaring and fireflies, coconut drinks from a fabulous outside bar (picture of Larry, Tracy, and I at the bar). So it was Marvelous, It was not what we had planned those 3 days but non the less marvelous. Sam and I had massages, Tracy and Larry floated down some river.
The hard thing about Colombia is NO ONE speaks English. NO ONE. But how much Spanish do you need to know when sitting on a beach eating, and ordering drinks. NOT VERY!
To be continued...
p.s. When I was packing for this trip I threw in a little flashlight. Brock said to me "Why would you pack that?" my response. "I guess I never know where I am going to end up!" ha. That flashlight saved our lives. It was the darkest I had ever seen it. You could not see an inch in front of your face. It was quite unnerving how fricken dark it was.. Did I mention it was DARK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys really vacation. I have read your blog for years love it and what a fun couple. You are always doing something fun!

Sammy said...

This was a perfect way to start our vacation... loved it.. thanks honey :)