Thursday, January 14, 2010

Becky Sharp!!!

I am writing this blog a little tongue in cheek because I want to make sure if Becky Sharp (or anyone who knows her) reads this blog it is a compliment NOT anything else.

Growing up in high school I had the same drama that every teenage girl has. It was dramatic, you know the drama and the high school/junior high games. So like most teenage girls I would go home and CRY to my Mom about it and my Mom gave me the BEST ADVICE ever, and little did I know at the time she said this that I, my kids, my friends, and now my step girls, would coin the phrase "BECKY SHARP THEM"!!!

My mom said to me the day I was complaining about one of my best friends doing something TERRIBLE to me and "How on Earth were we ever going to be friends again".. My Mom simply said to me, "Treat them like you would Becky Sharp!!"

explanation: Becky Sharp is a girl I LIKED. We were in the same church group together. I knew her, she knew me, we would occasionally talk, but we were not girlfriends. We did not do things together on Friday nights. I said "Hello" in the halls and always greeted her with a warm smile. We never had any problems, fights, fought over the same boy, simple relationship with NO DRAMA..

As a teenage girl this information was like GOLD. "Treat them like I would Becky Sharp!!!" "TREAT THEM LIKE I WOULD BECKY SHARP"!! It's was simple MAGIC!! It was the best advice ever.. So over the years when I would have problems with a girlfriend, a co worker, MY MOM, my sisters etc... I would think in my head.. BECKY SHARP THEM, BECKY SHARP THEM. As my girls grew up I found myself telling them the story about the nice girl I went to church activities with, named "Becky Sharp" and the advice my Mom told me that day. I have had the same talk with my husband, and my sister-in -law, my friends at the bar.. The Becky Sharp story is now a legend and it WORKS.... So now all my kids say.. "BECKY SHARP THEM"and even last night when I called my Mom to tell her a story of me running into a high school bully of mine, she simply said to me, "Becky Sharp" her!

So may you all "BECKY SHARP" your faux's today!!!

4 comments:

Lyla said...

I know Becky Sharp!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Becky Sharp is one of the sweetest people I know.............

DEBBIE said...

ME TOO. I love Becky and that is the entire point..Becky was A LOT sweeter than I and it was EASY to be nice to her!!

Shelli Roholt said...

great story debbie, and a smart thing to tell your kids, i try to tell mine the same thing but don't have a story that great to go with it!!!