Friday, January 7, 2011

Fast Offerings!

As most of you know I was raised Mormon, and Sam was NOT!!! I still harbor some "Mormon Guilt" and the story belows will tell you a kinda of humorous story about living in a Mormon world and the guilt that I harbor!!!

On the first Sunday of each month Mormons have what they call Fast Sunday. After church they send two young adult males around to collect Fast Offerings. This is money used for various things in the church (yes on top of the tithing that is so notorious with the Mormon religion). So these young men come to your door and give you an envelope and you put money in it and they leave, end of story. Sam and I have NEVER had them come for Fast Offerings.
Sunday Sam and I were in our front room taking down our Christmas, and sure enough I looked outside and two boys about Brocks age were walking up the side walk. and this is how our conversation went.

deb: "Oh, It's Fast Offerings."
sam: "WTH IS FAST OFFERINGS?"
deb: "you give them money"
sam: "FOR WHAT?"
deb: "I think for things needed in the ward"
sam: "like what?"

Sam then opens the door and they hand him the envelope and Sam says to them. "I am sorry I don't have anything right now." and he send them on their way..

WELL this sent a rush of anxiety through me like I had just ran over a batch of small kittens.

deb: "YOU CAN'T JUST NOT GIVE THEM MONEY!!!"
sam: "I just did."
deb: "I will go to hell, or we will die in a firey crash or something terrible"
sam: "ARE YOU SERIOUS!!"
deb: "yes, Sam I have HUGE guilt over this"

at this point Sam is looking at me like I have 3 heads. He said I will grab some cash and run it over to them. I told him he could not do that either that it will freak them out..

*Please keep in mind as you read this we live in a neighborhood that is about 95% Mormon and they don't EVER deal with people that aren't aware of ANYTHING about the Mormon religion.

So Sam puts on his shoes and gets some cash and keeps looking at me and saying.. "YOU ARE SERIOUSLY BOTHERED BY THIS".. I then explain to him how those boys are Brocks age and we have had a hard enough time "fitting in" in this Mormon town and Brock goes to Boy Scouts with these kids and how strange it has to be for them to have someone just send them away and how Brock is ostracized to begin with for not being Mormon and etc., etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, etc..
Well at this point there Sam stands in his pajamas with his tennis shoes on looking at me like I had just explained to him the theory of evolution. He said to me. "so what would you like me to do?"
deb: "nothing it is to late now!!!!"

Sam still standing there with his cash in his hand looks out the window and chases the poor boys down and pays them FAST OFFERINGS..

So everyone will be happy that I am not going to hell!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh all day!