Wednesday, August 12, 2009

the "great fall" my version!!

I am doing so good at blogging more. This has been every day in like a week or something like that okay.. Maybe more like 3 days but any way.. I HAVE DONE LOTS BETTER.
I am going to tell my side of the accident.
I don't remember the fall, I don't remember Sam and I going on a walk, I don't remember ANY OF IT... NOTHING. This is what I do remember.
I remember getting to Redfish lake and talking to my Dad, Hank, and Shari, and making tin foil dinners for dinner. We had a great evening. Unpacking the trailer, getting camp set up, stringing the laundry line, the usual when you will be camping by a lake for 8 days.
I remember saying these exact words to Sam as soon as our kids went in the trailer to go to sleep.
"Sam, lets walk down to the lake because... MY TOES HAVE MISSED REDFISH"...
For those of you who don't know the significance that Redfish lake has for me.. I have went to Redfish Lake Idaho almost every single year of my entire life. I have had some of the best times at that lake and I have wonderful memories of my dad, my Uncle Max, and all of my friends, and now my kids around that lake.
So those words "MY TOES HAVE MISSED REDFISH".. are the last thing I remember till a couple of days later.
Sam snapped this picture right before we went on our "walk". I don't know if you can see but there is a fence we crossed and headed to the lake so I could dip my toes in the lake..

I think Sam got the worst end of this deal. I do not remember falling, I do not remember any pain (till the hospital) I do not remember the blood, the ambulance, the life flight.. It is simply gone from my head.. NOTHING.. However Sam remembers EVERYTHING in almost disturbing detail...
I said to Sam the second night in the hospital..
"Sam, What happened to me?" he simply said to me.. I can't talk about it Debbie. It's just to hard for me...
My response to that!!! It is a really really really strange feeling to be in the hospital, beat to hell, with needles and tubes, and blood all over me and have no idea of what exactly happened.. However, I respected Sam's feelings and I waited another 24 hours before I said to him again...
"Sam, I really need to know what happened.. can you tell me?".. His answer like his first were... "I can't Debbie, not yet".. Okay.... I thought.. So the next evening the nurse had brought in dinner for us to eat and Sam started to tell me the story he wrote below. At that time I knew why he had not told me what he had experienced. It was TERRIBLE, and Traumatic and he had been through his own hell emotionally while I had been through hell physically.

This is a picture of the rock I landed on. Sam nor I know why I fell. Sam was not looking at me and I can't remember. I know it's bothering us both. I don't know if I slipped, tripped, or exactly what made me fall and Sam does not know either. Sam said there was not a sound out of me till I hit the rocks. Not a yell or a struggle.. NOTHING. He just knows I hit the rocks and no sound before that. Sam also waited for me to make some kind of noise before he ran for help. He waited for me to be "awake". Sam was not going to let me die alone on that shore. He said that was one thing he was sure of. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT Sam went through, it is terrible to think of and I think every ones WORST nightmare is to be put in the situation Sam was put in that night. Sam loves me.. EVERYONE THAT KNOW US KNOWS THAT SAM LOVES me... He sat there that night with his biggest fear.... and he made it through it.. He didn't only make it through it he probably saved me life by reacting and acting the way he did.

I do remember one spot of the entire night. I remember the helicopter, I remember it being very very windy and I remember looking around and seeing Sam there and thinking to myself.. "I WONDER WHERE WE ARE GOING!!!" It was an excited thought. Like Sam and I were about to go on vacation or something and we were headed there via helicopter.. ha ha... Little did I know..

3 comments:

Sammy said...

This was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me by far. I am so thankful I have my wife with me now. I love you Debbie.... time to heal up now and get you back to normal.... or abbynormal

Ann said...

like I said before I don't even know this couple but I have read the last few weeks blogs over and over and I weap and laugh with you.
I am in a book club in Orem and we read your stories last night.

Shelly said...

This makes me sick to my stomach. I can't IMAGINE!!!