Sunday, August 9, 2009

Redfish 09..... the scare of my life.......

Debbie's black eye. She did not even hit her eye but the impact gave her a black eye. She also had bleeding on the brain and a blood clot. Yeah scary scary stuff.. *side note. Look in the reflection of the window. that is redfish lake.. IT IS SO GORGEOUS. To Debbies right is Larry, Debbie's dad.
Debbie and I in the trailer. She has to sleep at a 20 degree angle. She cannot put her head below her heart. Lots of lots of doctors and recovery coming.
This is the rock she landed on. You can see the dark spots that is blood. Then she curled up between the rocks in fetal postition and you can see the blood between the rocks. She bled so so bad.
This is cassidi standing where Debbie fell. I am standing where debbie was standing when she fell back. You can see it's about 5 foot ledge. pure rocks. I wish I knew why she fell. I was looking at the lake and Debbie does not remember ANYTHING. which I think is a good thing. She does not remember the ambulance, life flight, pain, her kids, or blood. Which is a good thing..
Here is the story... enjoy!!! and thank you for the prayers!!!

We made it back from our family camping trip from Redfish Idaho. I have a story to tell and I will try to keep it short but I find it hard to keep it short because I experienced the most scary moments of my entire life this week. I am sure you all have defining moments in your lives that stick in your mind........ let me tell you about mine..

We just get to Redfish on Saturday the 1st, set up camp, cook dinner and sat by the fire for a bit. Later that night every one left for their own campsite and Debbie and I decided to go for a short walk to the lake, which was only about 100 feet from our campsite. It was a beautiful, nearly full moon, night that lite up the whole lake. We sat down right at the shore and Debbie needed to go pee. She stood up and took a step towards a tree and I turn my head to look at the reflections in the Lake and then I heard the most awful noise I have ever heard in my life....... Debbie fell and her body and head hit the rocks just below where I was sitting. I quickly turn and my heart came up into my throat..... I saw Debbie's lifeless body right at my feet. I knelt down and picked up her upper body and put her head and shoulders on my lap as I was saying "Debbie , Debbie are you with me honey are you with me????? Debbie, Debbie Campbell are you here with me???? You hit your head really bad honey are you with me????? " As I gently rolled her head over I saw a horrifying sight....... blood was gushing our of her nose and ears and out cuts on her head.. running through my fingers and drenching my pants and shirt. Just after that I heard her labored breathing start to gurgle in her lungs. I thought to myself that second "My wife is dieing right on my lap" I said a quick prayer or two and had a talk with God asking for help to make the right decision. If my wife was dieing I didnt want her to die alone but I wanted to run for help to get her out of here. Through all of this I was talking to her to see if I could get some kind of response...... slowly she started to come around and I was able to get her into a position where her head was not below her heart and she started saying something..... she held her head and I said I need to get you out of here to get some help..... all she could say was my head hurts.... wait a minute.... wait a minute... then curled up into a fetal position. This was my only chance.... I told Debbie "dont die on me I am running to get help and will be right back" I ran up to the trailer and got Cass and Tay out of bed and said to get an ambulance... your mom hurt her head bad..... Cass said how bad??? I showed her my bloody hand and she left in a hurry. I ran back down and Taylor followed me..... she saw her mom in the little hole hanging on to life.
Very soon after people started showing up to help..... Hank, the Sheriff, EMT then the ambulance to get her out. While in the ambulance Debbie started throwing up and they made the decision to life flight her to a neurology team...... she was in bad shape. We get to a hospital...... to find out later it was Boise not Ketchum....... we spent the next two days in the hospital and I had bloody clothes on for nearly that whole time. We went to Boise because it has a better trama unit than Ketchum. The helicopter ride was amazing but Debbie was so so sick she threw up blood the entire way.

I will leave it there..... this story goes on and on. Debbie will post on this later since this is about where her memory of this whole thing started. I know that life is precious and can end in an instant...... Thank God for all of our friends and family praying for us. I am so thankful I have my wife with me alive and in good spirits and health. We have a lot of doctors to see but she is here!!

3 comments:

Brock said...

i was sound asleep than i woke up cuz i had to go to the bathroom and i saw a bunch of flashing lights. and than cass came in and i went to the bathroom and than cass told me i was so sad. than we went to ketchum and sat there for 55 min. than a nurse came out and called my grandpa to the back and said thay life flighted her to bosie so we drove to bosie we were in a car for 9 hours!!!!

Sarah Campbell said...

OMG! I cant believe this! I have not been on here in forever and when i read this i freaked out! How scary, i am so glad Debbie is alright! I am sorry i didnt find out about this sooner. I will call you soon to find out the whole story. I love you guys and i am so sorry you had to go through that awfull experience.

Nicky said...

I could feel Sam's anguish as he wrote this. I can't imagine how awful that experience would be. I'm so glad that you are alive and well (sort of well, right?). Hang in there through all the recovery!