Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sam, Brock and Debbie go to church!!

Had to share this story!!!! Keep in mind I am not ONE OUNCE prejudice so this makes this story all the better!!! This is copy and pasted to an email I sent to Sam's mom but it really happened to us TODAY!!! Worth reading it all!!!

Oh Norma:

I can hardly wait to tell you this story!!!

So last night Sam and I were in bed and I said to him. "Sam, we need to find a church to go to."

We had talked a lot the past few months about finding a church that would fit us both. There is a church that we see a lot of people hanging out at many days in the week right down the road from us. So this morning I got on the Internet to find us a church and find what time they started.

So I am googleing Kaysville Utah Churches.. A LOT of Mormon churches come up and 2 or 3 others. So I start asking Sam about the churches. One of them was a Baptist church. He said he liked the baptist church and that sounded great.. So we had to hustle to get ready for church.. I MEAN hustle we had about 20 minutes for the worship to start.

SO... this is where the story gets quite funny.... You have to picture this.. Really picture this.

Brock, Sam and I in semi dressy clothes.. I was in a skirt with a white blouse and white flip flops, Sam in some khaki slacks with a polo shirt on, and brock in some dressy shorts with a polo on and we are off to take a look at this Baptist church and see if it is a "fit" for us.

*side note... Kaysville is VERY conservative. Probably 90% White, Mormon population.. Very Republican, very NON flashy in all ways....

Sam, Brock and I pull up to the church and we were surprised that there was not a ton of cars. There was a farm house behind this quite large Baptist church and Sam is explaining to me what a parsonage is and stated that this farm might be a parsonage and we were talking to Brock about etc. etc. etc.. We were a little early for church so we were just sitting there talking in the car. Well next to us pulls up a car and 2 black woman that were EXTREMELY dressed up get out. Well we were excited that people were showing up and get out of the car.. I said to Sam as we walked in.. "those ladies are really really dressed up, I hope I am dressed okay.".... OBOY... here comes the rest of the story.

We start walking up to the church and there was about 5 people at the doors to the church.. All black, all VERY VERY DRESSED UP. Men in three piece suits and the woman in all white dresses, with white hats, and white gloves on.. etc.. One of the men was unlocking the door.. In my head I thought.. Okay STRANGE.... It's ten minutes before church is starting and the doors are locked.. So all of the people walk in the church and one of the men look at Sam, Brock and I and nudge his head like he was saying.. "GO IN.."... HE DID NOT SMILE, HE DID NOT SAY WELCOME, NOTHING.....NOTHING AT ALL..

It was NOT the welcome Sam and I thought we would get.. HA HA..

We walk into the church and I could see into the kitchen and there was a LOT more people, they were also ALL black and VERY VERY dressed up. They were doing dishes and stuff like that. I still did NOT think anything of it.. We walk upstairs right behind the people that were ahead of us when we walked in the door.

Sam said to me "Debbie that woman looked at you like you were meat on a stick!!"...

Norma, I was determined to give this a try and kept thinking to myself... This is Kaysville, Utah there could NOT possibly be a church like this HERE.. So we walk in the chapel and it surprised me to see the preacher already preaching. Yes, the preacher was black and so was EVERY SINGLE person in the chapel.. Needless to say we stuck out like snow in July or even worse maybe a giraffe in your back yard!!!

Sam, Brock and I sat on the back row as the ENTIRE congregation turned around and stared at us.. I am chuckling inside at this point.. We sit down and I squeeze Sam's leg.. HARD. Brock leans over to me and whispers in my ear "Mom, I am scared"... I was thinking to myself.. I am not scared but I am blown away and I seriously any second expected a camera crew to run out and say... SURPRISE YOU ARE ON CANDID CAMERA.. Well that did not happen..

At this point the 3 of us obviously know we are not fitting in and these people do NOT want us there.. I said to Sam.. "do you want to go".. Sam said.. "YES".. and I said to Sam.. "HURRY!!!""

We stood up.. everyone watched us and walked out of the chapel doors, hit our car, and laughed for the rest of the day.. I am still laughing..

Talk about a strange strange experience..
I just wanted to share this bizarre experience.. Hope you enjoyed the story..

Love you,

Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great story-teller!! Can't wait to hear next weeks adventure! :)