Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Taco Salad (Redneck Style)


I made this Taco Salad on Friday afternoon for Friday night dinner. It was really really good. It's kinda a little redneck but seriously was VERY good. Try it and let me know what you think.. "I kinda thought it was also pretty.. and thats inmportant! The other HUGE thing is that my kids even like it and ANYTIME I can get brock to eat lettuce is a GREAT Thing.

1 Sm. head iceberg lettuce
Tomatoe's (I used cherry tomatoe's because that is what I had, about 12)
Chopped green onions
1/2 c. Catalina salad dressing
1 can chilli beans (drain them almost all the way but don't have to be drained till dry)
2 c. shreadded cheese (I used cheddar)
1 pkg. Doritos or Fritos (use these not just toritilla chips, you need the flavor they bring)
1 can sliced olives (Opt.)
1+ c. Catalina salad dressing.

Layer first 3 ingredients in bottom of serving dish (I used a tray). Pour the 1/2 cup of salad dressing over the top of the first three layers. Layer the rest of the ingredients on top of that. Pour the rest of the dressing over the top.

*note: The recipe suggest that it's better having been made the night before, but I'm not big on wilted lettuce or Way to soggy of chips. I made it at about 12:00 and thought it was just right for dinner at 5:00ish. The recipe also calls for Italian dressing but I used a reduced Fat Catalina and liked it A LOT better.

Make it, it will make you happy and let me know what you think. It looks like it will feed an Army but my family finished it that night.... I did not serve it with anything else. Just Taco Salad night!!! It was a fun different twist.. I WILL FOR SURE MAKE IT AGAIN!!!

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Oh hell yeah this was delish!!!!! Debbie called it "refreshing" and I have to agree.... problem is I ate 3 helpings because it was so refreshing... lol our family is so spoiled... I love my wife.