Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mothers Day.

This year we are starting a tradition in our family for Mothers Day. We are going to make a team and start running in the "Race for the Cure"..

Most of you know that I am a breast cancer survivor. It has been years and years since I shed a tear about my surgery, or my scars or any of the emotional stuff that went along with breast cancer. However... When I watch this clip from Salt Lakes "Race For The Cure" and listened to the words of this song.. I CRIED.... it moved me and I wanted to share.

You can donate to my team by following the instructions below.. Or just google Race for the Cure Salt Lake City and my teams name is "HIKING FOR HOOTERS"..

I am going to tell you a story I don't know if I have ever told anyone.. and I have no idea if my Mom remembers it or not. She has never said anything if she does!
The Saturday before my surgery my Mom took me shopping to buy pj's and soft things to go on my chest and slippers, Stuff that you need when you are about to have a double mastectomy. We were in the lingerie department of Fred Meyers and I was looking at bra's and what I might be able to wear AFTER the surgery and a flood gate open.. I started to cry and I mean cry to the point I had to put my face in my hand and cried surrounded by underwear, bra's and slips!

4 comments:

Sammy said...

That was moving honey I have never heard that song before. I am sitting in a motel room replaying this song. I cant wait to be there on May 8th with my woman

Melz Spot said...

Oh Debbie, I cannot even imagine how terrifying that must have been for you. How long ago was this, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you for posting this & for this video/song. It's so powerful & moving. You are a very inspirational woman! Keep being YOU!!!

DEBBIE said...

I will be 12 years clean on August 5th of this year. I was terribly young.... 27 to be exact! Time heals wounds and I hardly ever think about it much anymore... I have had reconstruction and the experience changed me!!! I LOVED THIS VIDEO AND SONG.. It was kinda like the song was written for only ME!!!

Ro said...

You know how you can just hit "next blog" and see where it takes you? Well, I tried that today and here I am being nosy and checking out your blog, admiring the pictures of your pretty daughter (doesn't she look just like the blonde actress in White Christmas?!) and then I came across this entry and I was so very moved. I have two very dear friends who are breast cancer survivors. I remember going wig shopping with one of them and she had a similar emotional meltdown, and feeling so helpless, not knowing how to comfort her. But 6 years later, she is cancer-free, Praise God! Hope you don't mind a total stranger commenting, but I just had to tell you how much your honesty meant to me. As another has commented, you are an inspirational woman. Good luck on your Mother's Day run!

www.softwindsandroses.blogspot.com