Friday, March 13, 2009

His Story........

I get asked often about when Debbie and I met. I think partially because when people see us they see how much in love we really are and are curious. "How did you ask her to marry you?" or "what happened when you first met?"....... things like that. I decided to put together a short... ok... kind of long..... story about that time in our lives. Sorry this is so long but seriously... how could I make such a great story short.... haha. So for those of you that are interested.... here is my story............

We have 6 kids between the two of us from 11 to 21. Brock 11, Taylor 14, Cassidi 17, Jordan 18, Sarah 20 and Josh 21. We now live in Kaysville Utah.
We both just came out of some tough relationships and really were not looking for long term anything. Certainly we wanted companionship so we were looking for something thank goodness. We spent hours and hours on the phone talking about anything and everything. We lived 80 miles apart so meeting each other had to wait a week so we got to know each other just on the phone. I was totally mentally involved with Debbie by this point already. It was all I could think about every day. Every night for a week we would call and visit until midnight or later.
Finally, we decided to meet on a Saturday. June 21st 2008 to be exact. I had to drive an hour to get to her and what an hour that was.... nervous, excited.... kind of a mess I was... haha. Debbie wanted to meet at a local gas station and I agreed. I pulled into the parking lot and saw her car and my hands got sweaty immediately. I got out of the car and started walking towards her and she got out of the car and we met eyes, big smiles and hugged a deep hug. I was in heaven. I said to myself "This is the most beautiful woman in the world". I was a puddle of mush.

She took me on a hike in a populated area in the mountains and she kissed me when we were on top of Cub River just over the border in Idaho. WOW. We went back into town and had a couple of drinks at the local bar and I met a few of her friends and went home. I emailed my parents that night and I told them I just met the most beautiful woman in the world. I kept that email. The next day I came back up and met her kids and from then on it was all over. I have been totally enamored and in love with my new woman ever since.... still am. Her kids are so incredible and welcomed me with open arms.
We started looking at rings just a couple of months into our relationship and I bought one a couple of weeks later with out her knowing. I kept it hidden in my car not knowing how or when I would ask this incredible lady to marry me. Finally, a week or two later, an opportunity. She wanted to go on a hike to Cub River. I thought to myself "perfect... this is it this is it... the place where we first met and kissed!!" So during that whole next day, Debbie invited her kids, friends and seemed like whoever she ran across... "want to go to Cub River with us?" In my mind I am thinking "no no no" haha which I would have been fine with... I would have just waited a bit longer, however, now I have the perfect place in mind to ask her to marry me. So, as it turned out, everyone turned us down... so we went alone. Perfect! So we get up to the beginning of the trail and all the way up there I am wondering how the heck I am going to dig the ring out from its hiding place in my car, put it in my pocket with out her knowing what I am doing. I put the car in park.... she said she has to go pee... "yeah perfect" I thought but little does anyone know about Debbie.... she is the fastest urinater in the west. She will walk into the bathroom and before the door shuts behind her she is pushing the door open all finished up. So I knew I had about 30 seconds to get the ring into my pocket. She opens the bathroom door and I tore that car apart frantically, got the ring in a safe pocket, crammed everything back into the console, shut the door and there she was walking towards me..... good grief that was close.
Off we go on our walk and come to the spot of our first kiss and sat down on some rocks right at the edge of the river. I was sitting right at her knees just below her looking into her eyes holding her..... another perfect moment. So I look deep into her eyes and ask "Debbie will you marry me and complete me for the rest of my life?" She responds nonchalantly "sure, do you want to marry me??" I said "YES" but I was kind of set back by her calmness and her moving on to talk about something else. hah (we obviously have talked about getting married before). So I proceed and change the subject back..... I said "can I put a ring on your finger?" She asked calmly "you have a ring?" then her eyes got bigger as if she suddenly realized what just happened "YOU HAVE A RING????" .... before I could answer, she talks again "YOU HAVE A RING ON YOU RIGHT NOW???????" I was finally able to talk and I said "Yes I have a ring right now" so I pulled it out of my pocket and put it on her finger. We both embraced and cried and sat there for a while holding each other. You know... while I am writing this I am not sure she even said YES... haha.
We flew to Kentucky to introduce her to my parents and family. While we were there, my Father married us in a very nice home wedding in Kentucky on October 10th 2008.
We finally went on our Honeymoon January 23rd to Cozumel Mexico and had the time of our lives.
I love you Debbie.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you too sweetheart!!!

Anonymous said...

So HOW did you meet? Was it via the internet, friends, singles club, or did you stalk her from afar before you made your move?

Sammy said...

I am definitely a stalker... I found what I wanted and went after it... haha Just ask her... she finally gave into my demands