Thursday, October 30, 2008

Festive Recipe. Dinner in a pumpkin!

I promised a friend of mine this recipe so I thought I would just post it for ALL. Obviously this is the only time of year you can make this recipe (pumpkins, funny how they are only available this time of year). I made this lastnight. The food is OK but the family loves it because it is festive and a novelty. I served it with green beans and HOT ROLLS.. Enjoy.
Ingredients:

1 med. pumpkin
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (I use fresh)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 lbs ground beef
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts.

Cut top off pumpkin and clean pumpkin (no crap)

Preheat oven to 350 F

Saute onions in veggie oil for a few minutes add meat and brown. Drain fat from skillet, add soy sauce, mushrooms, brown sugar and soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Add cooked rice and water chestnuts.

Spoon entire mixture into pumpkin, replace pumpkin top and put entire pumpkin on baking sheet and bake 1 hour or until inside meat of the pumpkin is tender.
You can eat the pumpkin with brown sugar and butter. Way yummy...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am making this tonight!

Sammy said...

DELISH... I loved it!!!! Debbie takes care of her man

Anonymous said...

Deb are you okay? Do you ever go anywhere or just sit home and cook?