Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Redneck Casserole

The other night, Debbie asked if we were hungry and of course everyone piped up and said YES!! We are not dumb when Debbie is cooking. So she went up to the kitchen and I followed. While she cooks I am usually right there at the counter visiting about whatever while watching her fly around the kitchen multitasking. (she loves it if I play my 12 string guitar while she cooks ;)
Anyway.... I never saw her look at a recipe or anything she just started pulling food out of the pantry, cabinets, freezer and fridge and put them on the counter top. Then she pulls out a casserole dish. Now she just starts tearing it up..... cooking meat, opening cans, whipping up mashed potatoes and mixing things together. All I saw was a blur. NEVER measured anything!!!! Soon the meat was done, potatoes were done and then she started putting it all together into the glass casserole dish. She piles it up higher and higher in the dish then brings the mashed potatoes and tops off the dish with them and then puts some cheese on top..... and now the most amazing thing...... it came perfectly to the top of the dish with just enough room to put the lid on. COME ON.... how in the hell did she do that so perfectly with out any measurements what so ever???? So then she throws it into the preheated oven (I have no clue at all when she even turned that on) and cleaned everything up and we went and watched a movie while it cooked.

Well as you probably guessed..... the casserole was absolutely delicious!!!! I told her THANK YOU and that is was way good and she was almost embarrassed about cooking a casserole. (she is not much for cooking casserole dishes apparently) She called this one the Redneck Casserole for some reason..... so be it... maybe I am a redneck... lol. I think Foxworthy should add casserole dishes to his "You might be a redneck" skit.

I am TOTALLY amazed and very appreciative of Debbie and her cooking (well... and many MANY other things lol)

2 comments:

DEBBIE said...

I have to explain. I do NOT think all casseroles are redneck. I don't particular like casseroles. they just seem... STRANGE to me. I don't know why, they just do. I like lasagna, and spaghetti, and meat and potatoes, not casseroles. Maybe to relief society... maybe that is what it is.
Sams loves casseroles so I am working on that!

Anonymous said...

I don't do casseroles either.